Friday 27 January 2017

Audiobook Review: It Takes a Thief to Catch a Sunrise by Rob J Hayes!


    It Takes a Thief to Catch a Sunrise Audiobook
  • Written by: Rob J. Hayes
  • Narrated by: Schatzie Schaefers
  • Length: 9 hrs and 21 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook

  • Release Date:12-16-16
  • Publisher: Rob J. Hayes
  • Buy: Audible   Audiobooks.com 
  • Set in a new world of corruption, deceit and thievery; mixing magical fantasy and alchemy punk with a healthy smattering of airshippery. It Takes a Thief to Catch a Sunrise follows Jacques Revou and Isabel de Rosier, a couple of charlatans at the top of their game.After completing the biggest heist of their career, Jacques and Isabel are ready to retire, until the king's shadow councilor freezes their assets and forces them to work for him. Jacques and Isabel find themselves thrust into the social elite, playing the parts of Baron and Baroness Bonvillain, as they attempt to uncover a plot that threatens the entire kingdom.

My Thoughts:

Isabel de Rosier and Jacques Revou are thieves, they are the best in the business and have accomplished pretty amazing heists. Nothing compares to their last one, which they did so that they could retire in comfort. One day a man named Renard Daron approached them and said that he had frozen their bank account and assets and the only way to get them back was to do a job for him. They have no choice but to accept.

Plot wise, this isn't exactly action packed, but it moves along at a good pace. It was well written and developed and I enjoyed the kind of steampunk, old Victorian feel to it. I enjoyed the kind of "spy" feeling too. It would make an awesome movie :) 

I think what makes this book are the characters!! Isabel and Jacques were such an awesome couple. They are totally devoted to each other and it showed. I loved seeing them together!! I also loved when they were in their "other" personas! They are both excellent actors :) 

In all, this was a fun and enjoyable book. Filled with amazing characters and a book that will grab you from the start, it is a good book to start a series with. I really can't wait to see more of the fantastic Isabel and Jacques!!! 

Now, unfortunately I wasn't too impressed with the narrator choice. Her tones were kind of..... ridiculous to be honest. I don't know what she was thinking when she spoke as Renard Daron. I know he had a gravelly tone, but the narrator shouldn't have tried to replicate it as it wasn't very good nor pleasant to listen to. I was doing a lot of eye rolling, and I have to say, that it was a very near DNF for me. I think she tried to hard and it didn't turn out well. I give her narration 2 stars!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment