Friday 7 August 2015

Aftermath by Tom Lewis Review!


25245425Title: Aftermath
Author: Tom Lewis
Pages: 174
Published: March 28th 2015
Source: From Tour Company
Purchase: Amazon 
The end of the world came fast. Between the time the warning had sounded on the TV, till when 16-year-old Paige O’Connor awakened sometime later, civilization had been crushed. 
The attacks had come by “them” – those things in the ships in the sky that had appeared suddenly, and without warning. 
And as Paige would soon discover, the attacks had only been the beginning.
Aftermath is the first book in the new After the Fall dystopian action series, which follows a young girl’s struggle for survival in the wake of civilization’s collapse, and humanity’s domination by an alien race of beings. 

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this story of survival but was left wanting a little more. There's nothing wrong, per say, it's just the story felt like it was lacking more development and information. There is also a bit of conflicting information, saying that though, I enjoyed this a lot so I'll list my likes and dislikes for this review. Let's get the bad out of the way.

What I disliked: (though they are more an annoyance than a dislike) 

Lack of information was a big thing for me. I get that this is a book about after the invasion but I would of liked a little more background on the invasion itself and the characters.

We get no real information on how everyone got the chip into their necks. Paige seems to be able to tell about hers, so why can't anyone else. There wasn't sufficent information on this!

The conflicting information was another big thing. Example, the aliens are supposed to be invading yet there is a force field keeping the people in where Paige lives, and people are outside it trying to free the people inside! (if you can understand what I mean) What I don't get is how these people got outside the force field, or if they were never inside it to begin, how did they miss being implanted or invaded etc? Are the aliens only invading certain places, are they only implanting certain people? We get no explanation at all about this and I found it frustrating.

So reading over this I can see the overall theme is lack of information and development!! The story needed to be fleshed out more.

Now onto what I liked:

I really liked Paige. She was plucky, brave and a no nonsense type of girl. She needed a little more development to be truly awesome but I did like her spirit and her take charge attitude. 

The action was pretty fast paced. You are brought into it straight away and the plot flows quickly. 

The idea of the chips was really good. I liked that the different tones made them do different things. 

I also liked that the aliens remade the city as well, though doing it overnight seemed unbelievable. 

In all this was a good read that lacked depth. I think if it was developed a little more then this could of been great. I did enjoy it overall, and would keep up with the series to see what happens. 




6 comments:

  1. I have this one on my "To Be Read" List, I think I bought it when it was on offer. I've read your dislikes but I still think I will read the book myself. Maybe the author could do a prequel novella which gives the invasion in more detail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend it still even though I didn't love it because I know a lot of people will love it. I just found it to lack too much.

      Delete
  2. There is nothing worse than when you love the characters, pace and action and you there is not enough information to keep you sustained. I know it can be a double edged sword in a sense that too much detail can be overwhelming but sometimes it really is needed!

    I hope you are doing well Natalie! Sorry I have not been around in a while. A combo of uni and work keeps me too busy lately!

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! There's a fine line ;) I did enjoy the book a lot though.

      Delete
  3. Sounds kind of like a good B movie, enjoyable, but don't look too deeply. I'm a bit dystopianed out, but I like the sounds of the invasion. If only there were answers! That's a personal pet peeve of mine. Maybe the author was saving them for the sequel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought!! It's like an old school alien invasion movie :) Lol. I do hope we get a little more in future books!!

      Delete