Friday 19 June 2015

Audiobook Reviews!


Hi guys. Since it's Audiobook month I decided to share some of my Audible reviews with you. I don't always put a review on here because of time constraints but I'm going to feature some over the next few days :) 

If you find any of them helpful (or not) please consider voting on Audible HERE, it helps me a lot!! Thanks. 


    Dissension: Chronicles of the Uprising, Book 1 | [K.A. Salidas]
  • Written by: K.A. Salidas
  • Narrated by: Meghan Kelly
  • Length: 4 hrs and 17 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook

  • Release Date:01-13-15
  • Publisher: Rising Sign Books LLC

  • The great cataclysm wiped almost all life from the face of planet Earth, but tiny pockets of survivors crawled from the ashes, with only one thought: survival, at any cost. But not all survivors were human. In the dark, militant society that has risen in the aftermath, vampires, once thought to be mythical, have been assimilated and enslaved. Used for blood sport their lives are allowed to continue only for the entertainment of the masses. Reviled as savages, they are destined to serve out their immortal lives in the arena, as gladiators. And there is no greater gladiator than Mira: undefeated, uncompromising... and seemingly unbreakable. When an escape attempt leads Mira into the path of Lucian Stavros, the city's Regent, her destiny is changed forever. Lucian, raised in a culture which both reviles and celebrates the savagery and inhumanity of vampires, finds Mira as intriguing as she is brash. An impulsive decision - to become Mira's patron changes more than just Lucian's perception about vampire kind. The course of his life is altered in ways he could never have predicted - a life that is suddenly as expendable as hers. Can Mira prove to Lucian that all is not as it seems? Can Lucian escape centuries of lies, bloodshed, and propaganda to see the truth? Or will the supreme power of the human overlords destroy them both?

  • "Vampiric Dystopian."

    Overall
    Performance
    Story
    What made the experience of listening to Dissension the most enjoyable?
    I love listening to audios because I find it really brings the story to life. This was no different.

    What does Meghan Kelly bring to the story that you wouldn’t experience if you just read the book?
    I really enjoyed Meghans voice, she was very clear and easy to listen to. She was able to bring Mira to life and was able to perfectly portray her hatred and fear.

    Any additional comments?
    This is quite a short book but it certainly packs a punch.

    You would think that the Vampires would be the blood thirsty ones, not so. In Dissension, the humans have enslaved the Vampires and the ones they haven't killed, they keep in cages and make them fight, Gladiator style in an arena.

    Mira is a prized fighter and hasn't lost, yet. She has been caged for nearly 30 years and is still intend on getting her freedom. She knows that it is the humans who are worse than any Vampire. They use UV lights on the vamps, they starve them, they force them to live in a small cell with only a cot and threadbare blanket, they send the vamps to the "Light Box" for punishment, a place which emits beams of UV lights every few minutes. The Vamps just want a quite life and non more than Mira. A chance encounter with a human may just be the hope Mira needs, but can she trust the very ones who are treating her like this?

    I loved Mira. She is so kick ass, even for a vamp!! She knows that someway, somehow she will escape! She fights everyday just to survive and even then, she isn't as bloodthirsty as the humans. I loved her spunk and spirit and I loved the fact that no matter what, they couldn't break her.

    Lucian, is a human and has been brought up to believe that the Vamps are bloodthirsty animals and will kill you as soon as looking. His history books are full of all the atrocities the Vamps did and he doesn't care on bit about them, that is until he meets Mira. She shows him just how wrong everything he has been told is. He is fascinated by her and becomes her patron. For a Vamp, a Patron is someone you have to obey fully, no matter what they want from you. Mira doesn't know what to expect from Lucian but she doesn't expect how he is with her. He treats her like a person and not an animal. I really liked that about him!! I can't wait to see their friendship grow, if it goes in that direction.

    Anyway, Dissension was amazing. You are brought into the story right away and it's pretty much non stop the whole way through. My heart broke for Mira a lot with the way she was treated and I ached for her. The fact that the author can make you feel so much for a character says a lot about her writing!! K.A Salidas has created a dark and dangerous world but one where you hope the Vamps will win. You end up wishing they find their freedom and are able to live in peace. I loved the history and how the Vamps came out, I loved the Gladiator feel to the book, I loved the characters and the story so I think it's safe to say that I pretty much loved everything about the book!! I need book 2 though because I need to see what happens next!!!

    I listened to the audio of this and adored it. I started it and couldn't stop so listened to it all in one go. Meghan Kelly did a great job of bringing Mira to life. She has a pleasant voice and is easy to listen to. I hope they bring all these books to Audio because I know I would listen to all of them!! 

  • No Such Thing As Werewolves | [Chris Fox]
  • Written by: Chris Fox
  • Narrated by: Ryan Kennard Burke
  • Length: 14 hrs and 19 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook


  • Release Date:12-17-14
  • Publisher: Christopher T Fox
  • WARNING: May Contain Werewolves.
    A pyramid predating all known cultures appears without warning. Its discovery throws into question everything we know about the origins of mankind. Inside lies incredible technology, proof of a culture far more advanced than our own. Something dark lurks within, eager to resume a war as old as mankind. When it is unleashed it heralds the end of our species’ reign.
    A plague of werewolves spreads across the world. A sunspot larger than anything in recorded history begins to grow. Yet both pale in comparison to the true threat, the evil the werewolves were created to fight.

  • "Action Packed."
    Overall
    Performance
    Story
    Would you listen to No Such Thing As Werewolves again? Why?
    Definitely because I loved both the story and the narrator.

    What did you like best about this story?
    Everything but especially the lore.

    Have you listened to any of Ryan Kennard Burke’s other performances before? How does this one compare?
    No but I will check out more from him.

    Any additional comments?
    When a pyramid suddenly appears a team of scientists thinks that it is the discovery of their life. This pyramid predates any other things every unearthed on earth and they have no idea where it came from. What they don't know is that with the pyramid comes something that they think is legend. But it also heralds the end of the world. They need to figure things out before things are too late.

    While looking through Audible, I came across this book and had to add it to my list. I love werewolves and this sounded awesome. I'm so glad I got a chance to listen to this because it was so so good.

    Character wise, there are many but all of them have a central role to play. They are well written and developed but I think my favourite was Blair. He is only a teacher but is drawn into the action because he is the best at his job. He is the one that can translate the hieroglyphics but his life is changed because of it!

    Plot wise, I loved everything about it. I loved the lore and history behind the pyramid. It was fascinating! I loved finding out about the werewolves and why they were created. I loved the scientific and military aspect of the story. The werewolves are spreading like a plague but there is a reason why and the twist the author put on it was amazing!!

    What else can I say without spoiling something other than this book was amazing. Its a complex and gripping read and one I know I'll listen to again! It's well written and hard to believe that it's the authors first book! He put so much into the story and it shows. It's action packed and with plenty of twists to keep every one reading. This is quite a long book but I flew through it! I loved everything about it and highly recommend.

    There is quite a cliffhanger ending and I normally hate cliffhangers, but the authors note at the end was a good addition and took the edge off. I had to laugh a little at the ending though because the characters quip was so funny!!

    Anyway, I loved No Such Things as Werewolves and would highly recommend the audio. The narrator did a great job of voicing the characters and the wolves. His voice was easy to listen to and follow. I'm so glad I listened to it because while reading it I could imagine it as a movie playing out. It was so good and I can not wait for book 2 to see what happens!!!

  • Twins of Prey: Twins of Prey, Book 1 | [W.C. Hoffman]
  • Written by: W.C. Hoffman
  • Narrated by: Daniel Rose
  • Length: 4 hrs and 16 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook


  • Release Date:09-17-14
  • Publisher: Abracadabra Productions
  • Orphaned twin boys are raised by a woodsman they call "Uncle," away from the society he bitterly left years ago. Trained in the arts of the woodsman, they became the ultimate hunting, fishing, surviving and killing forces that Uncle had designed them to be.
    However, Uncle knew he was leaving this world and that the twins would be okay with the world. What Uncle could have never known was if the world would be okay with the twins.
    When changing lives is not an option, the twins must begin to take lives. Enjoy this fast paced, thrilling outdoors adventure novel as the Twins battle against the society that wants to end their woodland way of life.

  • "A tense read."
    Overall
    Performance
    Story
    Any additional comments?
    This is the story of Tomek and Drake who have been raised by a man they call Uncle. Their life is totally off the grid, with them being the ultimate hunter gatherers. Their Uncle thought them everything they know, including their right to guard their territory against intruders and that the government and everything modern is bad! When Uncle dies and the boys are left to fend for themselves, they find themselves facing things they never had to before. When 2 hikers come upon the boys, the boys end up killing them but what they don't know is the boys had a powerful dad who will stop at nothing to get answers. When the world intrudes upon the boys, they know they need to fight to survive.

    This reminded me of the show that was on telly about the preppers. You know the type that believe the government are out to get you and you have to hide away. This just takes it that bit more in that the boys are brought up to look after themselves. They dont shy away from anything, including killing humans. They live off the land and have been to the city only once in their lives. They are totally cut off from humanity and it shows.

    This was a thrilling and often times violent read. The boys know no other way of life so you can't help but feel sorry for them. Yet they are hard to like because they have no compassion and don't bat an eye when they kill. I understand the way they are though I didn't like it!

    Overall, I enjoyed this. It's a story of the extreme and I enjoyed finding certain things out about the boys though I did find a certain revelation to be a bit out there. It's a tense and thrilling story and I'm glad I read it.

    I listened to the audio and thoroughly enjoyed the narrator. He did a great job of bringing the story to life though I did think he could of used a different tone with each brother.


No comments:

Post a Comment