- Narrated by:
- Length: 12 hrs and 14 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release Date:09-24-13
- Publisher: Audible Studios
- Purchase : Book Depository/ Amazon/ iTunes/
- Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics.
But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.
Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.
And David wants in. He wants Steelheart — the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning—and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.
He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.
- My Thoughts :
- I can sum up this book in one word and that's phenomenal! I flew through this and loved every single word. This book right here is why I love reading, it grabs you and takes you on a journey. It's rare that you find a book that will blow your mind and make you love reading all over again. This is such a book, its not just a book, it's a masterpiece!!
- Life for David changed when he was a child. His father was murdered by an Epic and David has made it his lifes work to kill that Epic. The only thing is, the Epic who killed him is Steelheart, the epic of all epics, the seemingly untouchable and invincible Epic, but David has a secret, he is the only one left alive who has seen Steelheart bleed. He thinks he knows Steelhearts weakness and is hell bent on revenge. He wants to join the only group that will stand up for humanity, the Reckoners, and get their help. Can David hurt someone that is impervious to everything? How is he going to kill the unkillable?
- I loved David. He is smart, kind, funny and brave. He has been studying Epics since his father was killed, he has documented all he knows about them and has made it his lifes work to get revenge. David is determined to try to rid the world of as many Epics as he can but his ultimate goal is Steelheart. I loved his character and wanted him to succeed! He was funny as well as brave! His interactions with the Reckoners was hilarious sometimes, especially with Megan, the newest Reckoners recruit. He bumbles a lot when around her and often puts his foot in his mouth. It's adorable!!
- Megan was kickass. She is the newest Reckoner and gets stuck right into fights. She is aloof and mysterious but opens up a little for David. I loved reading their interactions!!
- Then we have Prof, the leader and founder of the Reckoners. He has invented some technology to help fight the Epics and is the heart of the gang. He has the final say on targets and if David can join or not. He is brave and a smart leader.
- I loved the world building in the book. Its such a unique and cool concept. The idea that the ALL the people who got the superpowers are evil was awesome. Usually you have a superhero who has the same, if not better powers come to the rescue, not so here. Everyone who got the power turned evil. It's up to the humans to fight back!
- I also loved the powers that the Epics had. So many different ones and all used for nefarious purposes!!
- Anyway, Steelheart was such an action packed, edge of your seat, breathless rollercoaster. So much happens but you cant see where it's going. There are so many twists and turns that it's impossible not to gasp at most of them. This book has it all, epic fights, heroes, super super villains, a touch of humour and plenty of breathless action. The pacing and flow were perfect and it never let up. I flew through the book and didn't want it to end. From it's amazing characters to its superb writing, Steelheart is a must read. It's a riveting, fun and enjoyable story. Brandon Sanderson is a master story teller and I highly highly recommend this book!!
- I listened to the audio and I loved it. MacLeod Andrews is very talented and he really knows how to tell the story. He did an amazing David and Prof and I loved how we knew the different characters with his tone. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it and can not wait for book 2.
- I could keep gushing about this but better wrap it up, it's such an amazing book and everyone should read it!! My favourite book by far in a long long time and if I had an Epic rating for an Epic book I'd give it that!! Brilliant.