Thursday 20 November 2014

Of Sea and Stone by Kate Avery Ellison Review!


20708670   Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Title : Of Sea and Stone
Author : Kate Avery Ellison
Pages : 197
Published : February 2nd 2014
Publisher : Kate Avery Ellison
Source : Xpresso Book Tours

If only we'd known how many secrets the sea held...

All her life, clever Aemi has been a slave in the Village of the Rocks, a place where the sea and sky meet. She’s heard the stories about the fabled People of the Sea, a people who possess unimaginable technology who live below the waves in the dark, secret places of the ocean. But she never dreamed those stories were true.

When a ship emerges from the ocean and men burn her village, Aemi is captured, and enslaved below the waves in Itlantis, a world filled with ancient cities of glass and metal, floating gardens, and wondrous devices that seem to work magic. To make matters worse, her village nemesis, the stuck-up mayor’s son Nol, was captured with her, and they are made servants in the same household beneath the sea.

Desperate to be free, Aemi plots her escape, even going so far as to work with Nol. But the sea holds more secrets than she realizes, and escape might not be as simple as leaving...
 


My Thoughts : 

This was not what I expected, in a very, very, good way! For some reason I expected mermaids!! 

Aemi is a slave in the Village of Rocks. She dreams of being free. Her mother used to tell her stories of where she came from and Aemi vowed to one day see it. She has heard the stories of the people who live underwater but always thought they were just that, stories. So when her village is attacked and Aemi is captured, along with all the men, she is terrified. Everyone is split up and Aemi ends up sent to the same place as Nol, her nemesis. She is again a slave but this time she has the means and motive to plot her escape. But escape isn't as easy as she thought! 

I fell in love with the authors first series and had to try this one. Well I'm so glad I did because she has managed to create another amazing world. Everything about Itlantis was fascinating. The different realms and history were captivating. The author can really pull you in to her writing and make you apart of the world she has created. 

Character wise, I really liked all of them but Aemi and Nol were my favourite. Aemi is strong, determined and not afraid to take a chance and Nol started out as a typical spoiled rich kid but I ended up really liking him. He grew a lot during the story. 

Plot wise, Of Sea and Stone was relatively fast paced. I loved the idea of a whole civilization residing below the water with no knowledge of what it's like to live above. The unique realms and history behind them were fascinating as was the places themselves. Being book 1 in the series though, we are left with a lot of unanswered questions so I'm hoping we find them out in future books. 

Anyway, overall Of Sea and Stone was a captivating read. From it's unique and creative world to it's enchanting setting, Of Sea and Stone is a must read. It has captured my interest and I can not wait to see what happens next!  Kate Avery Ellison is fast becoming one of my favourite authors because she has created some amazing worlds and she continues to impress me with each book. 



2 comments:

  1. It totally sounds like mermaids, but then again so does Atlantia. I love world building in a book and this one sounds good. So often I have questions after a book one, but I don't mind as long as the author does know them, then it's fun going back and looking for hints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I know. I totally went into it expecting mermaids but found something wonderful. I really enjoyed this and can't wait for book 2.

      Delete