Thursday 15 May 2014

The Dark World by Cara Lynn Shultz eARC Review!


20804408   Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide   Goodreads_icon_32x32

Title : The Dark World
Author : Cara Lynn Shultz
Pages : 376
Published : May 27th 2014 
Publisher : Harlequin Teen
Source : Netgalley

Paige Kelly is used to weird--in fact, she probably corners the market on weird, considering that her best friend, Dottie, has been dead since the 1950s. But when a fire demon attacks Paige in detention, she has to admit that things have gotten out of her league. Luckily, the cute new boy in school, Logan Bradley, is a practiced demon slayer-and he isn't fazed by Paige's propensity to chat with the dead. Suddenly, Paige is smack in the middle of a centuries-old battle between warlocks and demons, learning to fight with a magic sword so that she can defend herself. And if she makes one wrong move, she'll be pulled into the Dark World, an alternate version of our world that's overrun by demons-and she might never make it home.

My Thoughts : 

Since an accident she had Paige has been seeing ghosts. She didn't know they were ghosts at first until people started calling her crazy for talking to herself. At a new school while in the toilet, Paige starts talking to a girl who looks lonely and everyone ignores. Its not till her class mates start looking at her funny that see realises Dottie is a ghost. It doesn't matter what they think because Paige and Dottie soon become best friends. 

The new boy in school, Logan, talks to her but Paige knows it wont be long till he hears the stories of her and leaves her alone. Little does Paige know that Logan is soon to become a major factor in her life considering he was sent to protect her from Demons. She is thrust into a world she never knew existed and has to learn to protect herself or end up in The Dark World. 

Well all I can say is this was wonderful. 

Paige was a fantastic heroine. She holds her head high no matter what people think of her.  She knows what everyone thinks but instead of letting it get to her, she doesn't care. She is strong, snarky, capable and an all round nice girl. When her life is threatened she steps up and learns how to defend herself. She is terrified but that doesn't stop her. Her only friend is Dottie, whom I loved!!!, until Logan comes. 

*Sigh* Logan!! He was strong, gorgeous, kind and adorable. He is the type of guy most girls dream about. He is there to protect the Traveler and when he learns that its Paige he tries his hardest to keep his distance and keep it professional but its hard. He has secrets but is afraid to reveal them in case they hurt Paige. 

The romance was so sweet and lovely. I loved seeing it develop between them. Despite their differences they are a wonderful couple. It never once came across as forced and their relationship progressed at a decent level, none of the insta love!! 

I loved the idea of the Dark World. Its an alternative version of the world we live in. Everything is dark and dangerous and its ruled by Demons. It wasnt always ruled by them, Warlocks ruled there once and are trying to gain control again which is why the Traveler is so important. Paige can open portals anywhere in the Dark World and the Warlocks want her to open one where the Demon Queen is so they can assassinate her. It was unique and fascinating. I loved the different type of demons and their different talents. 

So Overall, I loved The Dark World. Its a fast paced, unique and different book. I loved the characters, even some of the demons and found myself engrossed in the world. With all the suspense and secrets revealed its a very hard book to put down. With it being the first in the series we are left with a lot of things unanswered and a lot of suspicions but I reckon they will all come to light in the next books. Cara Lynn Shultz has created a book that will keep you hooked from the very first page. You even have a lot of laugh out loud moments. I highly recommend and cant wait for more. 



8 comments:

  1. I'm not reading the review yet because I still have this to read but it's good to know that you loved it because I probably will too ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I hope you enjoy it Mel!! It was really good. I'm going to have to keep an eye out fgor your review!!

      Delete
  2. I have this one for review too, an you have made me want to move it up n my list! Shame I'm still a bit behind on reading schedule due to kindle probs. This kindle touch is taking some getting used to!
    Thanks for the great info about the book x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good Sandra! I'll look out for your review too!! Hope the Kindle is working for you now though!! I'm a bit behind on review books myself 😼

      Delete
  3. This book sounds great, I've never heard of it until now. Logan sounds lovely ;) The Dark World sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and Logan was awesome!! I can't wait for more.

      Delete
  4. Lovely review Nat. I didn't request this one but I'm curious about. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really enjoyed it!! I'm looking forward to book 2 :)

      Delete