Saturday 18 January 2014

Almost Demon (The Sigil Cycle #1) by A.J. Salem Review!


18586128Title : Almost Demon
Author : AJ Salem
Pages : 310
Published : October 31st 2013 by Salem Books, Inc.
Source : Netgalley


 Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide   Goodreads_icon_32x32

The last thing Gemma Pope expects to study in the after-school book club is demon etiquette but that is exactly what she has to do to succeed as a summoner and save her hometown.

Since taking the blame for the car accident that claimed the lives of her twin brother and two of her best friends, she s been seeing things. Dark shadows, opaque, menacing, multiplying.

The clock starts ticking when the local mild-mannered librarian suffers a psychotic break and pulls a gun on her reading circle. People are dying in disasters and wars all over the world. Gemma s dad is getting weird, her classmates are becoming violent, and the darkness surrounding Harrisport is getting thicker.

Does she trust hot English Lit teacher Mr. Flynn or Ian, the mysterious new kid in town, who has knowledge beyond his years and access to other dimensions?

It is only when the gates to hell are opened, that Gemma learns who her real friends are.

Discover what lies just beyond the veil of humanity in the sleepy town of Harrisport.


My Thoughts:

Emma is the sole survivor of the car crash that killed her twin brother and two best friends! Since that day she has been seeing strange dark shadows and strange happenings in her town. Is she going mad? What is happening to her once peaceful town?

Her questions are answered with the arrival of 2 new people. The English Lit teacher and the handsome Ian. From that moment on her world is turned upside down with the knowledge they give her.   

Almost Demon took me awhile to get into. It started off fairly slowly but once the story took off I really enjoyed it. 

I liked Gemma. She has so much to deal with but still stays strong. Nearly everyone at school hates and blames her for the crash and they turn against her. Her brothers girlfriend has it really in for her. Is she blaming Gemma or is it something more sinister? What I didnt like about Gemma was she seemed to trust both Ian and Thom and believe them straight away! I felt she could of questioned more. I know she starts to doubt Thom more but still!! 

The whole story and lore is what drew me in. I loved the whole demon taking over people element and causing mayhem! I loved how the marks appeared after summoning. I loved the other realms parts and the many little bits that made up the whole. Overall Almost Demon was fascinating and unique and was an interesting debut filled with twists, turns and mystery. There are so many plot twists and different things that come together to make the story so much more explosive! Its a rollercoaster of a book and  I'm really looking forward to book 2!! 


2 comments:

  1. I went to see what this is about because of the cover (yes, I'm a cover person, don't look at me that way!) but I'm not sure is something I would enjoy...demons are not my thing and school problems, I'm over them aswell.

    But it's good that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the cover in its simplicity!! Im a cover lover aswell :)

      Delete