Thursday 19 December 2013

Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando Review.


17573559

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide    Goodreads_icon_32x32

Title : Roomies
Authors : Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando
Pages : 288
PublishedDecember 24th 2013
Source : Netgalley

It's time to meet your new roomie.

When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she shoots off an e-mail to coordinate the basics: television, microwave, mini-fridge. That first note to San Franciscan Lauren sparks a series of e-mails that alters the landscape of each girl's summer -- and raises questions about how two girls who are so different will ever share a dorm room.

As the countdown to college begins, life at home becomes increasingly complex. With family relationships and childhood friendships strained by change, it suddenly seems that the only people Elizabeth and Lauren can rely on are the complicated new boys in their lives . . . and each other. Even though they've never met.

National Book Award finalist Sara Zarr and acclaimed author Tara Altebrando join forces for a novel about growing up, leaving home, and getting that one fateful e-mail that assigns your college roommate.

My Thoughts


Im going to say straight off that I usually don't read books like these but I decided to try it simply because it is out of my comfort zone.


Lauren is starting college at the end of summer. She has requested a single dorm room but gets an email from housing saying she is being put into a room with a roommate. She gets an email not long after from Elizabeth, her future roommate. What follows is a string of emails between them getting to know each other. 
Lauren lives in a house with her big family and Elizabeth lives with her mother. Will they manage to get on when they seem so different?

Roomies is told from both Laurens and Elizabeths POV with every chapter alternating between them. I quite liked this aspect of the book because we got to see both sides of the story. Lauren is quite shy and down to earth and Elizabeth is a bit more chatty. Both are trying to come to terms with leaving their respected lives and staying in a room with a stranger. 

While the book is well written and we do see both Lauren and Elizabeth growing as characters, I just thought the book was OK. I found Elizabeths obsession with the emails a bit odd!! She doesn't know Lauren but yet was constantly obsessing over the fact that Lauren was late replying. 

Both Lauren and Elizabeth have budding relationships with some amazing guys but again this annoyed me because both happened at the same time and for me it would of been better if one was in a relationship already. It felt a bit contrived, what are the odds that your room mate just happens to meet an amazing guy at the same time as you and just as they are going to college!! 

Maybe its just me but some of the things they wrote to each other were so personal. I know myself, I wouldn't put things like that in emails to someone I've never met, but as I said that could be just me.

Then to top it all off I felt cheated with that ending!!! I mean seriously, we went through it all and then the authors cut it off so abruptly!! Ugh. 

Saying that while the book wasn't for me I'm sure there are plenty of people who will enjoy it.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review Natalie, I've been really curious about this book ever since I saw it on Netgalley. Sounds like it does have its flaws anyway.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeann, don't let my review put you off!! Its a good book but too many things bothered me about it. You should definitely read it if its something you think you would like!

      Delete